Thursday, May 24, 2007


Wednesday started out partly cloudy. Once in a while the sun would break through and give a bit of light, but quickly vanish away. In the afternoon, I could hear from my window the loud chirping of crickets, but besides that there was only the sound of the light breeze. I was tired, but wanted to read, so I piled up some blankets and pillows, along with "The Scarlet Letter", and took off through the back yard to the playhouse.

The playhouse isn't really a playhouse anymore; when I was younger I played in it almost all day, but now that I'm older I have ceased to "play" and have begun to read and write more. I like to pile up cusions and read all afternoon. This day was the same, except that I knew there was a storm coming.

As soon as I began the walk to the playhouse, I could see to the north-west dark clouds. Not just normal rain clouds, but truely dark, severe storm clouds. I decided to read until I was too tired, and then just take a nap out in the playhouse...during the storm. I got to the playhouse and set up the cot, draped the blankets over it, placed the pillows to my comfort, and then situated myself for a pleasant afternoon.

It didn't work out as I thought it would. I was just reading the part in my book where Hester Prynne is shamed on the scaffolding and beseeched to reveal her child's father's name, when it grew suddenly dark. I sat up, as the wind stopped and the crickets silenced, waiting and wondering what would be the outcome of this storm.

All the sudden I was blinded by a flash. I coudn't see for a couple seconds, and when site was retrieved, I wished instead I had lost my hearing. A crack of thunder, so loud I felt the house shake, boomed all around. The noise was the eqivelant of three or four parot cannons being fired simultaniously. I held my breath, shocked. Just five minutes before I had seen some lightening, but the thunder was definitely delayed. This was totally unexpected.

I wasn't sure if something had been hit, but I wasn't going to stick around to die. I grabbed everything I had brought out, shoved my sandels back on, and ran as fast as I could to the house. Just as I jumped up the stairs and opened the screen door, the wind picked up and blew leaves around me. The heavens opened and the rain poured down. In seconds there was a foamy puddle on the brick sidewalk.

I went inside and put my stuff down on the couch, then returned to the porch. Marble sized hail had already begun to fall, and it made a loud thud as it smacked the porch. Sheats of rain swept over the city garage parking lot next door. The smal pond had been completely dry before the rain began to fall, but now, five minutes later, it was full. The trees across the way were being beaten down by the wind, many branches bent to the ground.

Finally, after two weeks of storm warnings, it was raining. This morning, it was still raining, and this afternoon was mostly rainy too. Now it has stopped and the sun is shining. It turns out that a town ten minutes from us was hit by a tornado. Lots of trees have been damaged, but my playhouse still stands! Our nieghborhood is untouched by the tornado, and I expect it to remain so for some time. But let the storms and rain come...I can never get enough of them.

No comments: